Our goal is to produce high quality goods that last a lifetime. With continued use and love all things need care. Please use this reference page as a guide for extending the life of your new loved items.
Spot Clean with cold water and blot dry with a clean cloth. Never wring dry as wool will stretch.
Conditioning leather at a minimum of every six month is essential in keeping it supple and rich. If you are in a dry (hot or cold) climate please condition your product at a minimum of every four months or as soon as it feels dull or faded.
- Leather is susceptible to absorbing grease and oils; handle with clean hands.
- Apply a cleaner/lotion made specifically for the leather needing maintenance.
- Using a soft cotton cloth, apply approximately 1 oz. of the solution all over the leather.
- Allow the leather to dry for at least 12 hours away from sunlight and heat.
- When dry, buff the leather with a soft cotton cloth using a circular motion.
- Repeat every 6 months or as needed to clean, condition and protect leather goods from soiling and water spotting.
Cleaning hair on cowhide should be kept to a minimum to protect the life of the hair on the hide. Variations in color and hair growth direction are natural and unique to each hide.
- Brush cowhide gently in the direction of the hair to remove dirt.
- Use a damp clean cloth to delicately spot clean the hair. Be sure to avoid too much moisture.
Over time there may be wear spots on the hide from repeated friction, most commonly in the form of shortened hair length. This is normal and not to be considered a defect or imperfection. To slow this process change the side your bag is worn on and store in a dry area.
Martexin Original Wax uses an exclusive Martexin® finish, which makes it technically superior to other waxed cotton fabrics in performance, longevity, and dryness of hand. Martexin Original Wax is an environmentally friendly blend of food and pharmaceutical grade waxes, and is completely non-hazardous. This unique formula gives the fabric lifelong resistance to inclement weather and as the fabric ages, it develops a well-worn and comfortable patina. The patina develops with more and more use, in the same manner that leather ages and burnishes with time.
Martexin Original Wax is a highly specialized textile that precludes normal cleaning. Just as you wouldn't’t wash a leather product such as shoes, gloves, or jackets, you won’t be able to wash or dry clean your Martexin Original Wax. Wax fabrics have been successfully used for many years without washing. A periodic cleaning with a hose, damp cloth is all that is needed. Bare areas can be refinished with our Martexin Original Wax refinishing compound which can help restore the wax finish.
Source: Martexin® Origional Wax.
Suede is a unique type of leather created by sanding or buffing the outside of hides to create a short, velvety nap. We do recommend waterproofing your suede with a silicone free waterproof spray. Dirt can be removed using a brush intended for suede or nubuck. You could also use a wash cloth or sponge lightly with mild soap and water. Always allow to air dry and brush with a suede brush when dry. Suede+Nubuck cleaning kits are available at many specialty shoe stores.